Wednesday, June 11, 2014

DIY and Freebie

DIY

So, here are a couple of awesome Do It Yourself activities for the classroom!  This activities have been tried and true.  My kinders love them and so do I!!

Reader's Theater/Puppet Show

With felt board let down and Dramatic Play header (to keep it staple).

With felt board tied up and without header.

So last summer I read Debbie Diller's "Literacy Work Stations" and was totally inspired to create this dramatic play area.  I went to Hobby Lobby and gathered a foam tri-fold, a gold poster, red mini borders, red fabric from, and black felt cloth.  Grabbed a glue gun, laminated and Viola!  There are sections on the board that allow for a more interactive display.  I mainly used the board for retelling stories, but you can do soooo much more.  This is the perfect spot for reader's theater, creating a play and acting it our using props, felt board stories and more!!!

What's That Sound? and Stretch the Word

I created these boards during my internship and they are still going strong! I used a foam tri-fold and cut it in half, used mini word wall letters and bought Everyday Objects picture set along with Alphabet picture sets form School Aides (the teacher resource store in Jacksonville, FL). I will start with "What's that Sound?"
I used this board in the beginning for my kinders who needed help identifying beginning sounds.  Later on in the year this center was used to identify final/ending sounds, beginning blends and ending blends. This center is awesome for Daily 5 Word Work! There is a worksheet I created that goes with this to show students work.  They have to draw the picture and write the letter or blend.  Keep reading for a free copy of the worksheet!

This board is used to help students practice stretching their words, which is ohhhh so fun to do in kindergarten (sarcastically speaking).  However, this really helped my kinders and it was pretty fun seeing how much they improved in this area throughout the year!  This center works well for Daily 5 Writing.

Sooooo, if you plan on creating this center visit my Teachers Notebook or TeachersPayTeachers store for the free worksheets that go along with it or just click here.

    Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment